aditus foundation is an independent, voluntary and non-profit organisation established with a mission to monitor, act and report on access to fundamental human rights. Our work includes advocacy, research, capacity building and provision of legal aid.
Due to a temporary staff shortage, we are seeking to recruit a Legal Officer to join our team of human rights advocates.
What does the Legal Officer do?
Our Legal Officer is primarily responsible for our activities in the field of asylum. This includes individual case-work as well as other projects involving research and advocacy.
Individual case-work with clients covers the following activities:
- Delivery of information to asylum-seekers on all matters relating to the asylum procedure;
- Preparation of appeals against rejections at First Instance. This involves researching and drafting submissions and participating in the hearings of the Second Instance authority (the Refugee Appeals Board);
- Preparation of appeals against Dublin decisions, as above;
- Preparation of subsequent applications;
- Assistance with applications for national protection, namely Temporary Humanitarian Protection);
- Appeals against rejections of social security applications (e.g. unemployment benefits, housing benefits, etc.);
- General human rights support to asylum-seekers, beneficiaries of international/national protection and failed asylum-seekers.
Research and project work:
- Researching and drafting of the Malta reports for the Asylum Information Database (AIDA);
- On-going activities in the Protecting Together project;
- Supporting research for other asylum-related initiatives.
What do we require?
We are looking for a candidate who can demonstrate the following:
- University degree in law or legal studies, having covered refugee law and international human rights law;
- At least 3 years’ experience working in the area of asylum. If this experience also includes legal work with individual cases, please be sure to highlight it in your application;
- A good working understanding of the Common European Asylum System;
- Excellent research and drafting skills (English is our working language);
- Ability to work in a small team and in a fast-paced environment.
What are we offering?
We are able to offer the following to the selected candidate:
- A part-time position (approximately 30 hours per week, to be discussed) for the minimum period October 2018 – February 2019. This could be extended depending our staffing requirements;
- The possibility of future employment;
- Induction training to ensure a swift and efficient immersion into the local context;
- Possibility of travel for seminars and conferences, as these arise.
aditus foundation is committed to diversity in its staffing. All other factors being equal, we will give preference to the candidate from a minority group.
How should you apply?
Send your update CV and a covering letter to our Neil Falzon, our Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 28 September 2018.
If you have any queries, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.