In January 2023, aditus foundation together with the Chamber of Advocates Malta, will be offering training to lawyers defending journalists and media organisations, NGOs and activists, against companies and governmental figures using lawfare to shut down legitimate criticism.
The training is being carried out within the ambit of the Pioneering anti-SLAPP Training for Freedom of Expression (PATFox) project is co-funded by the European Commission-DG Justice.
Participation is free of charge. Seating capacity is limited.
Objective of the workshop:
- To enhance the knowledge of SLAPPs, freedom of information and existing legal instruments in Malta to combat SLAPPs;
- To raise awareness among lawyers about current local and EU legislative proposals on SLAPPs;
- To sharpen the participants skills around SLAPP lawyering, specifically SLAPP defense, in local courts.
- Lawyers and other legal professionals working in Malta, who have had experience defending in SLAPP cases and those who are interested in learning about it;
- In-house lawyers working with media organisations and civil society organisations.
aditus forms part of the PATFox consortium that aims to provide anti-SLAPP training, upskilling the lawyers representing journalists and human rights defenders against those litigating to shut down legitimate criticism in 11 EU member states (Spain, Germany, Malta, Bulgaria, Hungary, Croatia, Romania, Slovakia, Cyprus, Poland and Slovenia).