We are seeking to immediately recruit a Junior Legal Officer to join our Pro Bono Unit, as part of our implementation of the project ‘Documentation = Employability‘, funded by the European Social Fund.
aditus foundation is an independent, voluntary and non-profit organisation established with a mission to monitor, act and report on access to fundamental human rights. Our work includes advocacy, research, capacity building and provision of pro bono legal services in the field of asylum, migration, LGBTIQ+ rights and individual rights and freedoms.
We are seeking to recruit motivated individuals to join our team of human rights advocates in Malta. Our team consists of 4 permanent staff members, supported by a dynamic group of interns and trainees.
aditus is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, citizenship, and (dis)ability.
The Junior Legal Officer will be a new addition to our Pro Bono Unit, extending our team to enable us to offer a more comprehensive professional legal service to beneficiaries.
In particular, the Junior Legal Officer will be primarily responsible for the provision of legal services to clients in the various fields, including asylum, migration, LGBTIQ+, etc. The Junior Legal Officer will form part of our Pro Bono Unit and will report to Legal Officer.
Individual case-work with clients covers the following activities:
- Preparation and delivery of information;
- Interventions with relevant authorities, including email correspondence, legal submissions, participation in client meetings, etc.;
- Participation at tribunal sittings;
- Preparation of submissions for our strategic litigation cases in Maltese Courts;
- Representation of beneficiaries in Court sittings;
- Assisting clients during client drop-in days and visiting clients in open and closed centres;
- Providing support to the Legal Officer in the formulation and implementation of our legal strategy;
- Liaison with the Case Officer to ensure a comprehensive case management approach to our beneficiaries;
- General human rights support to our beneficiaries.
We are looking for a candidate who can effectively demonstrate the following:
- University degree in law or legal studies, having covered international/Maltese human rights law;
- At least 1 year experience working as a lawyer within the Maltese legal system;
- Excellent research and drafting skills (English and Maltese);
- Willingness to travel for seminars and conferences, as these arise;
- Fluency in English and Maltese;
- Ability to work in a small team and in a fast-paced environment;
- A commitment to diversity which respects differences of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion and ability. In particular, a commitment to respect the Code of Conduct of the Malta Refugee Council.
We are able to offer the following to the selected candidate:
- Immediate and full-time engagement;
- 18-month contract, with the possibility of this being converted to an indefinite contract;
- Salary package that is commensurate with experience;
- Statutory vacation and sick leave;
- A flexible and family-friendly working environment;
- A fun and committed group of colleagues!
Please send applications to Katarzyna De Wilde, our Programmes Officer, at [email protected], attaching a (1) covering letter, (2) updated CV with at least 1 reference by not later than 3 May 2021.
All applications should include ‘Junior Legal Officer position’ in the subject line.